Young Adult Men’s Life Skills Training in Our Christian Residential Ranch Recovery Program
Proper life skills are vitally important to the emotional and mental development of young men transitioning into adulthood. Without them, young men lack the understanding of how important the virtues of trustworthiness, honesty, integrity, and responsibility are to their own happiness. We would even go as far as to say that without certain virtues & life skills, it becomes increasingly difficult for any young person to live a full, happy, healthy and engaged life. But what do we consider ‘life skills’ and how can we teach struggling youth about their importance while they’re in our care?
Young men struggling from emotional issues, mental illness, and addiction issues have likely lost sight of the life skills they learned in adolescence. Others may not have even begun to learn these skills at all. What life skills are important for every person to know, regardless of age?
- Respect & Building Healthy Relationships
These two fundamental principles of life help to build upon countless other life skills necessary for not only survival but happiness. Skills like:
- Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Money Management
- Time Management
- Personal Boundaries
These life skills should be regarded as important as academics. This is why we make it a point to teach the above life skills, as well as other job skills, in the Young Adult Life Skills Training Program at Beartooth Men’s Rehab. In this faith based program, we can help young men learn more about themselves, others around them, the strengths and weaknesses they possess, and much more.
A New Way of Learning Life Skills
Where do we begin when teaching life skills? Many of the skills listed above are taught over time. It takes time to develop self-awareness and an understanding of healthy personal boundaries. Time management, money management, and effective communication come from practice and persistence. Before we can teach any individual important life skills, we first have to establish respect. By cultivating respect for self and others, we can reach these young men on a level that they might not have thought they were capable of reaching. By treating each young man with dignity and respect, we can teach these young men that respect comes in two forms:
- Respect for oneself
- Respect for those around you
Respect is the foundation of much of the emotional and physical work young adult men ages 18-30 do here at Beartooth Men’s Rehab. Although these men may not immediately see how these two forms of respect are necessary for all other learning, over time, they will start to see how respect in its various forms is interconnected. By showing respect for others, the animals they care for on the ranch, the natural environment around them, they will eventually gain a deeper respect for themselves. Without respect, it’s difficult and often impossible to empathize with others, achieve personal awareness, and continue to develop other important life skills.
Over time, once respect has become part of their daily lives, it’s easier to show these young men how to build healthy relationships and understand when relationships either need work or are unhealthy. To help them build a better future for themselves, they will learn to develop ways to balance their self-interest and needs, with the interest and needs of those they interact with. By creating a pathway to greater social interactions, young men learn new and better ways to communicate, problem-solve with others, and be a teammate versus a disinterested individualist.
Becoming a Mature Adult Man
The Beartooth Men’s Rehab life skills training program is based around the idea that becoming a more balanced person will help each young man overcome the behavioral problems in his life. The lifestyle balance and personal accomplishment that is achieved from our life skills training program helps these young men develop confidence, self-esteem, and sense of passion and purpose. What do we focus on in our life skills training program?
- Routine Management: A daily routine is a highly effective tool to help young men overcome various behavioral issues. Routines build healthy habits and stability in a life that has otherwise been chaotic through addiction and emotional issues. Through careful planning and the development of time management skills, we can show young men the importance of daily rituals and routine.
- Social Skills: Every day in the program is a day to build connections. Improving a young man’s social skills is a major aspect of long-lasting recovery. It helps them build self-esteem, cope with stress, effectively communicate their needs and feelings, and listen actively to those around them.
- Personal Skills: The very foundation of life skills training is the improvement of the basic skills and activities that are crucial to living an independent and productive life. Eating well, better hygiene, excersise, managing money, and a solid work ethic are all skills we try to instill in the young men before they leave us.
- Professional & Vocational Skills: Each day in the program is a day we can help these young men discover what they’re good at, and what they have a talent and passion for. By giving them the personal skills to effectively seek out meaningful work after they’ve finished recovery, each young man can transition back into their life with relative ease. They can choose to seek financial independence, the stability of work, and productivity in their lives.
- Communication: Every day will be filled with opportunities to communicate in a positive way. Effective communication is difficult at first, but over time, these men will develop new ways to seek out respectful conversations, expressing themselves in healthy ways.
- Anger Management: Many young men come to us with severe anger issues. We understand that developing ways to cope with anger and aggressive thoughts and behaviors is a skill that needs to be cultivated. We work on helping the young men to discover how to process their emotions in a positive way, without using physical or verbal aggression.
- Negotiation & Compromise: Most young men with emotional problems aren’t able to understand the value of negotiating and compromising. By working on our ranch, they’ll quickly learn how to use both to create “win-win” situations with their peers.
Learning From God’s Creation
Unlike many other life skills programs, our Catholic-based addiction sober recovery program at Beartooth Men’s Rehab uses the teachings of Christ to help each struggling young man gain a greater understanding of:
- Service to others
Our ultimate goal is to not only give each young man fundamental life skills, but also instill in them the appreciation of the Christian life. Whether this means showing generosity, contributing to their community, or serving others with joy. Pope John Paul understood the importance of these vital life skills, and the importance of serving others over yourself only. He captured this principle in his statement:
”One can only discover who they truly are, by giving the sincere gift of themselves for the good of others.”
What They Learn on Our Recovery Ranch
While at Beartooth Men’s Rehab, we will help participants learn more about themselves and the gifts that they possess—and those they need to learn—in order to better serve others, know themselves, and find personal fulfillment. The following five areas are the important life skills we want to impart to the young adult men in our program:
- A deeper understanding of respect and the connection it has to all things in life.
- The nature of generosity and kindness in relationships.
- Positive interactions with mentors, peers, loved ones, and the environment around them.
CALL FOR HELP TODAY!
If you know of a young adult man who struggles with addiction or other behavioral issues, don’t hesitate to give us a call today. We understand how difficult it is to take this first step, but the greatest thing you can do for your son or loved one, is to give them a second chance to learn the skills that will keep them safe, healthy, and happy as they continue through their adult life. At Beartooth Men’s Rehab, we help can help your young adult man reach his fullest potential, and establish a foundation of character that will support him for a lifetime.